Easily adapted to vegan
Delicious creamy risotto with Naked Bacon and butternut squash. Tasty family meal, perfect for autumn. Ideal comfort food that the whole family will enjoy.
1. Add 500g frozen butternut squash chunks to a large roasting tray and coat in 1 tbsp olive oil and plenty of seasoning – roast at 200C for 30-35 minutes until tender.
2. Add 1 tbsp olive oil in a large pan and sauté 1 finely chopped red onion until soft, then add in 1 garlic clove, pinch nutmeg and 1/4 tsp celery salt – cook for 1 minute.
3. Add 400g arborio risotto rice to the pan, toast for a minute, then add a ladleful of stock (ham or veg stock cube combined with 250ml white grape juice, 1 dried bay leaf, 1 tsp dried sage and 1/2 tbsp fresh thyme leaves).
4. Cook over a medium heat until stock almost absorbed. Keep adding the stock gradually until the rice is cooked (15/20 minutes).
5. Lay out a pack of Naked Bacon on a lined baking tray and place under a hot grill for 4 minutes on each side or until sizzling and crisp. Remove and cut into bite-sized pieces.
6. To the pan, stir through the bacon, chestnuts and butternut squash and continue to cook until the grains are plump and creamy.
7. Season to taste then leave to sit for at least 2 minutes before dividing between bowls. Garnish with black pepper.
RECIPE CREATED BY @chef_catling (Instagram)
Add chopped pan-fried Naked without the oink rashers.